Sunday, July 26, 2009


So, after 10 flights in 9 weeks Sue and I are home and recovering for the near future. Not that we didn't greatly enjoy our Guatemalan adventure and our visit to the northeast, but no human should fly that much. I think we're both enjoying some relative downtime for the remainder of this summer. Sara was happy to see that we'd returned from Guate and did her best to keep me from leaving for New York. But in the end, I'm 190 lbs and she's 7 lbs, I can take her. Even the vacant field next to our complex celebrated our return by rolling itself up into a bunch of marshmallows. I don't know what these things are called officially, so I'm going with marshmallows. 

Before I progress any further I must wish a very Happy Anniversary
to mi amor. One year has flown by and the dust has barely settled but we're still enjoying ourselves. Here's to many more. 


Last week, Sue flew to NY and drove down to Pennsylvania to visit Nan and Pop for a few days.
Covering more ground by splitting up, I stayed in Manhattan for 
a few days and hung out with some of my friends.
Thursday I went with a couple buddies to a free show as part of the all-summer River to River Fest. This show was at East River Park, featuring Man Man. These were the same lovable
nutjobs we'd first discovered at the Austin City Limits fest last year: crazy, spastic, carnival sideshow wackiness! Finished the evening with dinner at the famous Katz's Deli for some pastrami on rye, mmmm. 

Saturday was an especially full and crazy day. I 
spent the day in Coney Island at the annual Siren 
Music Fest, a cool, free music festival known for breaking 
new, up and coming bands as well as offering stage time for older more popular underground acts. I missed the headliners this year, Built to Spill and Spankrock, because I had to leave early, but it was a fun day and some of the bands I did catch 
were pretty cool. I did get to see a little tiny
bit of the Raveonettes who play 
reverb drenched 60's B-movie style rock. Usually it is ass-hot there among the concrete and metal and complete lack of greenery or shade, but this year it was pleasantly a little-tiny-bit-slightly-slightly-slightly cooler. Good times. It was a little sad to see CI for the first time without Astroland. The developers
brought in carnies to fill the space with rides and games but it wasn't the same. Who knows what 
the place will look like next year. At least the Cyclone, Wonderwheel and some of the other big landmarks are still there. 

That night, I met up with Sue in Manhattan fresh from Pennsylvania and we found a number of her
gang at the VNV Nation show at Nokia Theatre in Times Square. 
 We arrived late but the show
 went long, VNV giving the 
enthusiastic crowd four encores. 
My white sneakers were the only non-black garments I spotted in the house that night, serving conveniently as a 
homing beacon in the event Sue and I got separated. VNV had their afterparty at Crash Mansion downtown on Bowery and we all made our way to it, despite the challenge of hailing a friggin' cab in Times Square (usually they are called Yellow Cabs, but 
under this circumstance, it's appropriate to call them by their local name Friggin' Cabs.) Sue and I got back my hotel at four in the morning, just like the good ol' days. We felt bad for the others though, who had to depend on the Long Island Railroad to get home. 

As usual, we failed to find time to see all the people we wanted to, but we did get to see some people we didn't see last time and for those we missed, we'll try again next time. We hung out with my mom 
and got to enjoy the sand a little near her place in Long Beach. Finally, no visit to NY would be complete with out downing a plate of pasta about twice the size of my head. Oh that and the bag of
bagels we smuggled back on the plane. 

Hope everyone is having a pleasant summer, especially those in NY who have had one of the wettest seasons in recent memory. We at least brought you one week of nice weather from Kansas, hope you get some more before the seasons over.  

 

No comments: