Sunday, November 2, 2008


Hey again everyone and a Happy Halloween! I hope you've all had a fun one. I have to admit, I haven't gotten dressed up for Halloween in years, and this one was no exception. But even Prof. Crane was lazy on that front this year. Here she is as Crazy Woman With A Pumpkin Tattoo On Her Neck. 

Ghoul Day fell on Final Friday here in Wichita. Like many cities,
Wichita has one night a month set aside when all their art galleries are open late and many offer snacks and wine and other goodies. I'm happy to find that it's a happening event here and the city has a very vibrant artist community. There are around thirty galleries participating around the city and we only got to visit a handful in one section but they were crowded and the art was fun.
My favorite was the Robots exhibit,  
featuring many homemade and automated creations, like a robot made from car parts that reacts to people moving near it 
and talks and a machine that creates music by
hurling a rock and rattling chains against sheet-metal. Many of the
galleries are located in those cool old warehouse buildings. The section we visited is Commerce Street, which is a brick paved ally that stretches along a block of converted warehouses. There were 
musicians playing outside and one space was used as a makeshift
concert venue. And the din of noise coming
 from the venue was the most evil sounding music I've heard here, which, from my perspective, was a promising surprise. And of course, there were many people dressed in costume. 


Last saturday I performed with the Grace Wu Kung Fu School at the annual Asian Festival. The event is held every year at the convention center downtown and features food, music and culture from the
many Asian countries represented in the city. The Grace Wu School performance is usually the big hit of the fest. Some were surprised that I would jump into a performance after only a couple months at the school, but my experience at Shaolin Temple, and the 
number of performances I've done for them, left me with plenty of forms I could handle more or less. As it turned out I just did a small part of a form for my solo stint, not feeling comfortable doing the whole thing and I participated in a group form with other students.  Here is a shot of us all posing at the end of our performance like a bunch of hotshots. I seem
to be having trouble posting videos to this blog, so here is a link to my personal MySpace Page with a video of my short form where I look like a formless blob, and a video of the group form which looks a bit better. My short form is from a form called Swallow (the bird not the motor reflex, wise-guy). 

So I guess that's it for now. 
We love you guys and will see you soon hopefully! 

Love, Sonny & Sue. 

No comments: